Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Luis O. Silva
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:29:39 +0400

Privet Ilya!

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:30:31 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich writes:

   Ilya> Given the amount of bad press MULE gets (AFAIU,
   Ilya> correctly), I never tried to actully use it.  Well,
   Ilya> now I did.  And it does not work (21.2.2
   Ilya> -no-init-file).

   Ilya> Is there a way for a mortal to understand/fix MULE
   Ilya> bugs?

   Ilya> SPECIFICS of the problem1: when asked to show
   Ilya> cyrillic, it shows cyrillic indeed.  However, the
   Ilya> shown glyphs have no relationship to the actual
   Ilya> Cyrillic text (e.g., in the Hello, World example).
   Ilya> Do not have a slightest idea how to report it in more
   Ilya> details...

For me MULE handles all kinds of Cyrillic encodings very
well. For years I haven't had any problems reading
Russian. I've followed the discussion on this threat and I
thought that the hits given by Kai would help you understand
the problem. I got back to your original message because you
mention there the HELLO file. In my system I do:

$ emacs -no-init-file

then I type `C-h h' I put the point on the first letter of
Здравствуйте! and type `C-u x =' I get

  character: З (07067, 3639, 0xe37)
    charset: cyrillic-iso8859-5
             (Right-Hand Part of Latin/Cyrillic Alphabet (ISO/IEC 8859-5):
ISO-IR-144)
 code point: 55
     syntax: word
   category: y:Cyrillic
buffer code: 0x8C 0xB7
  file code: ESC 2C 4C 37 (encoded by coding system iso-2022-7bit-unix)
       font: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--13-120-75-75-C-70-ISO8859-5

If all is right with Emacs you *must* have the same. I think
that this is the case and the problem is in your OS. What
platform are you working on? Do you have the corresponding
fonts installed?

Regards,
luis

--