Re: tramp: password prompt

From: Clemens Fischer
Subject: Re: tramp: password prompt
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:06:13 +0200

grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:
>
>> the situation changes, of course, if the users identity is rejected by
>> the remote sshd, eg. because he tries to enter from a root account.
>> although i don't see a specific reason to do so, sshd can be
>> configured to reject anybody beeing root at home.
>
> Can you expand on this?  I don't understand what you're trying to
> say.

well, i thought the OP might have tried to access an account without
switching to a "normal" user under unix.  if the remote sshd is so
configured, it silently rejects people if the accessor is root.  you
wouldn't notice that, only very recent sshd daemons expand on their
reasons.  version 1.5 ssh installations often allow anybody in,
whereas version 2's are more picky.  this is arguably to prevent later
escalation of priviledges, and might be due to the blessings of
getpeereud(2).

clemens