Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:52:07 -0400

"David Kastrup" <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> wrote in message
x58z1j8wym.fsf@tupik.goethe.zz">news:x58z1j8wym.fsf@tupik.goethe.zz...

> > I'm sure it doesn't.
>
> If you know what the problem is, why do you ask?

I don't know what the problem is, but I have a strong suspicion what it
isn't... and tests confirm that turning font-lock off makes no difference. I
appreciate the suggestions, but everybody's looking under the streetlamp for
my keys because that's where the light is, despite the fact that I lost them
half a block away. Can anybody think of an explanation which doesn't have to
do with the speed of graphics? The bottleneck appears to be some kind of
network handshake between my machine and the remote one.

> > Why would it? It's not being slow in updating the screen, it's being
> > slow in *loading* *libraries*!
>
> If it reported the loading progress with different fonts...

It's not doing that. Is that even possible without extensive doctoring of
built-in functionality?

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting
dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com