ange-ftp not working this AM

From: Jeff Rancier
Subject: ange-ftp not working this AM
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:41:08 GMT

Hello All,

A strange thing happened this morning.  I started NTEmacs (21.2.1 on Windows
XP), and when I trying to use ange-ftp to visit a file, emacs sits
*indefinitely* (I let it set for about 10 minutes).  I can stop it with C-g,
and upon inspecting the *Messages* buffer, I see that NTEmacs *appears* to
be stuck in the function:

ange-ftp-start-process.

(1) 9 out of 10 times, the ange-ftp buffer is zero length, but that one time
shows: get NUL
(2) I set instrument-function-for-debug on ange-ftp-start-process(), and it
hangs at the end of the function.
(3) Has anyone experienced this?  My .emacs hasn't changed in several weeks,
and I've used ange-ftp right along.
(4) I can get ange-ftp to work, by running runemacs.exe -q.
(5) I've been trying to comment out my .emacs and keep restarting.  Is there
a better way?
(6) Is there any way to insert a halt command into my .emacs to abort
reading the initialization file?

I'm at a loss right now.  Any help would be appreciated.
--

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeffery B. Rancier