Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:49:48 +0000 (UTC)

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> > I don't know how much of this will change in Emacs 22, but at the
> > moment, that's the way it is.  And because Emacs considers them to
> > be different characters, Emacs doesn't use glyphs for one
> > character to display another.  And latin1-disp.el is the exception
> > from that rule...
>
> Note that your "because" is misplaced.  Even if buffer-filling engine
> does not consider them the same, the display engine might have
> remapped them for display purposes to the same codepoint in the same
> font.

To do so, the display engine would require mapping tables. So far,
tables have been contributed for mapping the following encodings to
and from iso8859-5: koi8, koi8-r, alternativnyj, cp855, cp866,
windows-1251. If you wish to volunteer to create mapping tables for
gb2312, jis0208 etc, I'm sure they will be accepted.