tramp

From: ftrw
Subject: tramp
Date: 01 Oct 2002 15:59:45 -0800

Hi,

I was using tramp last week and it worked.  Now it does not work.  I
suppose I added some new packages (w3 and gnuserv) and tweaked my
.emacs but I cannot figure out what.  Here are the symptoms:

 C-x C-f begins to find a file

 I clear the minibuffer line and type '/' <TAB> <TAB> and a
 completions list window pops up, showing me all of the files and
 directories in my / directory and all of the hosts in my
 ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.

 I can complete the machine name, as '/machine.uaf.edu:' and when
 I hit <TAB> again, I get a [no match] command.

 If I complete the file name by typing it, as
 '/machine.uaf.edu:.emacs', I get a message that says:

     'File not found and directory write-protected'

 It is trying to create a file in my root directory.  So tramp finds
 my ~/.ssh/known_hosts file ok but then the connection is not
 happening.

Thank you for any help.

Ryan