Customizing faces...which method?

From: Moore, Mathew L
Subject: Customizing faces...which method?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 12:53:34 -0400

Hello Emacsperts,

What is the "proper" way for customizing font-lock face attributes in the
initialization file?  There seems to be a bunch of ways to do it.

I would like to set different foregrounds (colors) depending on whether the
foreground is light or dark.  When I use the customize tool, it seems to
ignore the value of frame-background-mode and sets the selected face
attributes for all background states.

So I've gone to hand editing the code right below the "do not edit or
cut/paste" section that customize writes to my init file.

Is there a better way to do this?  Every time I read the documentation on
faces, my head spins a little.

Thanks for your help,
--Matt