Re: .emacs configuration question (easy)

From: ken
Subject: Re: .emacs configuration question (easy)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:27:46 -0400 (EDT)

Spake Oliver Scholz at 12:09 (UTC+0200) on Wed, 2 Oct 2002:

= "Ryan Barnard" <barnarr@cc.wwu.edu> writes:
=
= > Hi,
= >
= > I'm fairly new to using Emacs, but I see great potential for it.  I've got a
= > simple question I was hoping somebody could help me with:
= >
= > I want to set up emacs to be a little IDE for some C++ work I wish to do.
= > Here's the keypresses needed to make it look how I want it:
= > C-x 2
= > C-x ^
= > C-x ^
= > C-x ^
= > C-x ^
= > C-x ^
= > C-x ^
= > C-x ^
= > C-x 3
= > C-x o
= > C-x o
= > M-x shell
= > C-x o
= >
= > What this basically does is make two editor windows on the upper-left and
= > right, and a shell at the bottom where I can do my compiles and test runs.
= >
= > So, how can I have this set up in my .emacs file so it defaults to look like
= > this (or something close to it?
= [...]
=
= Besides doing this programatically as Jonas suggested, you can do it
= with a slightly different set of key commands: to do `C-x ^' and many
= other commands repeatedly, you can call them with a prefix argument:
=
= C-x 2
= M-7 C-x ^    or     C-u 7 C-x ^
= C-x 3
= M-2 C-o
= M-x shell
= C-x o
=
= I have a related question to the group:
=
= Suppose I want to make the shell window "sticky". That is: it should
= always at the same size and it should always show only a shell
= buffer. And Emacs should not take this window into account, when it
= resizes another window, or pops up some buffer etc.. Is this possible?
= AFAIK the tool-bar is actually such a window, so I guess that at least
= in the internals there are means provided for something like this. But
= can I do it with a Lisp extension? I know that I can use `winner-mode'
= to maintain my window-configuration, but this requires that I think
= and thinking is cumbersome.
=
= Another candidate for something like this would be the speed-bar. It
= would be nice if I could have it in a "sticky" window instead of a
= separate frame.
=
=     -- Oliver
=
=

The keyword you need is "geometry".  You could use it as a commandline
option when firing up emacs or put something like "emacs.geometry ..."
in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The "geometry" spec is used to set both size
and location of the window.

I'd suggest starting emacs from the command line with the "geometry"
option.  It's easier to play around with.  Requires less thinking.

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.