Re: Lambda calculus and it relation to LISP

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lambda calculus and it relation to LISP
Date: 05 Oct 2002 13:44:55 +0200

luke.olbrish@cc.gatech.edu (Luke A. Olbrish) writes:

> gnuist007@hotmail.com (gnuist) writes:
>
> > "The lambda calculus is a mathematical formalism
> > having to do with the way functions instantiate
> > their arguments. To some extent it is the theoretical
> > basis for Lisp and plenty of other computer languages."
> >
> > I am interested in a little concrete elaboration
> > of this statement by any mathematicians, logicians
> > or practitioners/users of lisp and lisp in emacs.
>
> ((lambda (x) x x) (lambda (x) x x))

That's gibberish.  You probably mean

((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))

which will (in Scheme, not Lisp) lead to infinite recursion.

While we are on the topic of Scheme and recursion:
((lambda (f n) (f f n))
 (lambda (f n) (if (= 0 n) 1 (* n (f f (- n 1))))) 5)

Recursion without a function actually calling itself!

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de