Re: disturbing link

From: Trilobit
Subject: Re: disturbing link
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:01:25 +0200

Barry Margolin wrote:
In article <3DA20CA2.2090608@gmx.net>, Trilobit  <trilobot@gmx.net> wrote:

Hi,

if you cange the contents of an file(example: bla.txt) with Emacs (running under linux) and don't save it
Emacs generates a link:

$>ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 Trilobit Trilobit 36 8. Okt 00:16 .#bla.txt -> Trilobit@***.tu-dresden.de.932
-rw-r--r--    1 Trilobit    Trilobit           0  8. Okt 00:16 bla.txt

this link is removed after the file is saved, but newly createt after a new change of the content, that's quite disturbing.

Is there any option to tell Emacs never to create this link, or at least to create it in another directory? (the "autosave" option and the "make backup" option are already swtiched off, with no result ;-( )

That's the auto-save file, so I think you didn't properly turn off
auto-save.

Note that (auto-save-mode nil) only turns off auto-save of the current
buffer, not all buffers.  If you want auto-save off by default in all
buffers, set auto-save-default to nil.

I don't believe that that could be the autosave file,
because it is just a link, it is ever 37 bytes in size no matter how big the textfile is (it's just a link ...) I've set the option like you said, it does not matter (I've had it set before ...).
It's something else, but I do not now what it could be.
Has somebody any idea what that link could be and how to get rid of it?