Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 18:52:19 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier
<foo@acm.com>], who wrote in article <5l7kgtgini.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu>:
> > Neither RAWIN, nor iso8859-5 found (grep -i).  There is also
> >   tcp/169.229.58.58:7100
> > in the fontpath, but I do not know how to grep there.  :-(
>
> You'll need to log into that machine

[Fortunately, I *can* log in there.  On many setups I saw I would not
be able to.]

> and try to figure out how
> the X font server (xfs) is configured.

As far as I can see, xfs is not running (from output of pt -a).  I see
the reason: its argv[0] is actually "fs" (do not know why).  (Deduced
by comparing the result of /bin/ps -eo'f uid pid ppid tty time args' |
grep " fs" with the result of /bin/ps -e | grep xfs).

Here is the part of the process tree with its argv:

root         1        ?    1:04   /etc/init -rs
root       200        ?    0:09     /usr/sbin/inetd -s
nobody   14162        ?    0:02       fs
nobody    3399        ?    0:04     fs
nobody    3808        ?    0:01     fs
nobody    5740        ?    0:01     fs
nobody    8411        ?    0:06     fs
nobody    9947        ?    0:01     fs
nobody   11558        ?    0:02     fs
nobody   12927        ?    0:01     fs
nobody   13601        ?    0:01     fs
nobody   13982        ?    0:02     fs
nobody   23850        ?    0:03     fs
nobody   25090        ?    0:16     fs
nobody   27840        ?    0:36     fs
nobody   27843        ?    0:08     fs
nobody   27847        ?    0:03     fs
nobody   27850        ?    0:05     fs
nobody   27857        ?    0:12     fs

What else can I do?

> Do you know what kind of machine this is ?

Same Solaris.  This is a very homogeneous network.

Ilya