Re: How force evaluation of this string's math *before* print?....

From: seberino
Subject: Re: How force evaluation of this string's math *before* print?....
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:54:30 -0700

Jesper

Thank you so much!! I implemented your suggestion and it gave
me a column number on my mode line that indeed updates itself
as I move around my document!!!

Can I ask you one last question? I noticed that often
the column number will *not* be updated with this
suggestion.  For some reason, on some
lines, the column number is not updated when I move right and
left with the cursor until some event forces an update.
For example, when I change
line numbers that seems to force an update of the column number.
Often pressing right/left arrow *does* effect an update of
column number on modeline but not always.

Thanks again,

Chris

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 07:06:32PM +0200, Jesper Harder wrote:
> seberino@spawar.navy.mil writes:
>
> > On modeline I have this element....
> >
> > '(:eval "%c + 1")
> >
> > How can I tell Emacs to evaluate the addition in quotes above??? Right
> > now it literally prints "+ 1" all the time rather than adding it to
> > column number (%c).
>
> You can do it like this:
>
>    '(:eval (format "%d" (1+ (current-column))))

_______________________________________

Dr. Christian Seberino
SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego
Code 2363