Re: How force evaluation of this string's math *before* print?....

From: seberino
Subject: Re: How force evaluation of this string's math *before* print?....
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:08:35 -0700

Indeed it works.  Thanks.  I noticed that column number
is updated for all cursor movements.

Is there any way to move the (force-mode-line-update)
up the "things to do list" for every keystroke???

The reason I'm asking is that the *line number* is updated
immediately after it changes, but, column number is noticeably
slower to update...... there is a noticeable fraction of
a second between cursor movement and column number updating.

Thanks,

Chris

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:54:21PM +0000, Michael Slass wrote:
> Barry Margolin <barmar@genuity.net> writes:
>
> >In article <mailman.1034193309.19968.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> > <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
> >>Jesper
> >>
> >>Thank you so much!! I implemented your suggestion and it gave
> >>me a column number on my mode line that indeed updates itself
> >>as I move around my document!!!
> >>
> >>Can I ask you one last question? I noticed that often
> >>the column number will *not* be updated with this
> >>suggestion.  For some reason, on some
> >>lines, the column number is not updated when I move right and
> >>left with the cursor until some event forces an update.
> >>For example, when I change
> >>line numbers that seems to force an update of the column number.
> >>Often pressing right/left arrow *does* effect an update of
> >>column number on modeline but not always.
> >
> >The :eval stuff will only be executed when Emacs thinks that something has
> >changed that requires recomputing the mode line.
>

> This will probably work, although I shudder to think what it will do
> to your emacs's performance.
>
> (add-hook 'post-command-hook
>           (lambda () (force-mode-line-update)))
>

> --