Re: How make this modeline item be recalculated more often?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: How make this modeline item be recalculated more often?
Date: 10 Oct 2002 12:33:52 +1000

seberino@spawar.navy.mil writes:

>    (setq default-mode-line-format (list ""
>                                    'mode-line-buffer-identification
>                                    "     "
>                                    (system-name)
>                                    "     "
>                                    '(:eval (format "%s" (+ (string-to-int
> "%c") 1)))
>                                    "Line %l Col %c"))
>
> I've been playing with adding one to column number in modeline and
> came up with the eval element above....
>
> It evaluates to a 1 when column in zero but it is not updated
> when I change the columns!?!?!? How make it be reevaluated
> when %c changes???

I vaguely remember seeing something about this in one of the documents
which comes with emacs - check the FAQ, NEWS and PROBLEMS files -
sorry I can't be more specific - it was a little while ago and the
memory just aint what it use to be.

Also, make sure you have
(column-number-mode t)
somewhere in your .emacs file.