special windows (was: .emacs configuration question (easy))

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: special windows (was: .emacs configuration question (easy))
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:01:49 +0200

ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> writes:

> Spake Oliver Scholz at 12:09 (UTC+0200) on Wed, 2 Oct 2002:
[...]
> = Suppose I want to make the shell window "sticky".
[...]
> The keyword you need is "geometry".  You could use it as a commandline
> option when firing up emacs or put something like "emacs.geometry ..."
> in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The "geometry" spec is used to set both size
> and location of the window.
[...]

*hehehe*, there is a misunderstanding here, for which different
terminology is to blame. I was talking Emacs-lingo. The geometry
option/X-ressource does affect only whole frames (that what is called
"windows" everywhere else in the computing world). Windows in
Emacs-lingo are the areas of the frame that are created by
"splitting" the frame horizontally or vertically.

Now the tool-bar is actually such a window but with some special
properties. I'd like to know if it is possible to create such special
windows from Lisp. (Though I doubt it.)

    -- Oliver

--
Oliver Scholz               13 Vendémiaire an 211 de la Révolution
Taunusstr. 25               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!