Re: Input of XML documents (input of unicode)

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Input of XML documents (input of unicode)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:59:19 +0000 (UTC)

Torsten Bronger <bronger@physik.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> 1.  How can I input an arbitrary Unicode Character?
>     I open a file in UTF-8 encode, and inout C-g        [C-q?]
>     and an octal unicode number, but always the message:
>     "invalid character".

Generally, opening files in a certain encoding does not change your
keyboard layout. So to tell Emacs that keyboard input is in UTF-8,
you should use set-keyboard-coding-system.  I have not tried this
myself, so there may be other limitations that prevent this from
working.

Note that this will only work for arbitrary Unicode characters where
arbritary is the subset of Unicode that Emacs supports.

> 2.  What is the most convenient way to install the XML
>     mode in Emacs?  It isn't part of the standard
>     installation.  (A pity.)

sgml-mode is part of the standard installation, but I assume you mean
psgml (which is difficult to set up, and dependent on external tools,
but well worth it if you do a lot of SGML or XML editing).