Re: RCS revert to previous version

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: RCS revert to previous version
Date: 12 Oct 2002 14:56:34 -0400

> If I am working on, say 1.7 of a document using RCS, what is the easiest
> way to revert to a specific version, say 1.4 as an example?

What do you mean by "revert" ?
In your example, when you say you want to revert to 1.6, which
of the following options do you mean:
- you simply want the content of the file to be the same as the
  one in version 1.6 (and it will be committed as 1.9 if you ever
  commit it, at which point 1.6 and 1.9 would be the same)
- you really want to get back to the time when 1.6 was the latest
  and simply discard 1.7 and 1.8 (i.e. after reverting to 1.6, modifying
  the file and committing it, it'd be committed as 1.7).
- you want to go back to the time of 1.6 but without discarding
  1.7 and 1.8, such that after modifying the file, it will be committed
  as 1.6.1.1 (i.e. first version on a new branch named 1.6.1).
- yet something else.

As you can see, things aren't as simple as they seem.

        Stefan