Re: changing default name of shell

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: changing default name of shell
Date: 15 Oct 2002 16:06:23 +0900

Chris <chrisl_ak@hotmail.com> writes:
> Is there a way I can automatically change the name of a shell buffer when I
> open it? I would it to be called just "shell" or something without the *
> surrounding the name so it is easier to complete with tab completion...

If you have a recent (21.x) version of emacs, give `M-x shell' command a
prefix argument, e.g., `C-u M-x shell', and it will prompt you for a
name.

Otherwise, you could always use `M-x rename-buffer' after you create
the shell.

-miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.