Re: [h-e-w] isearch-regexp-in-all-matching-files-in-tree?

From: Robert Mecklenburg
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] isearch-regexp-in-all-matching-files-in-tree?
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:14:43 -0600

TLR> Use case: I'm in a dired buffer in GNU Emacs 21.1.1 on w2k. I
TLR> want to _interactively_ search for the string 'GenericAction'
TLR> (and replace with 'ActionClass') in all files with names matching
TLR> '*.java' anywhere in the directory tree below the current
TLR> directory.
TLR>
TLR> How can I do this?

M-x find-dired <ret>                    # Invoke find-dired
.                                       # on the current directory
-name '*.java'                          # insert the *.java name pattern
-exec grep -q GenericAction {} \;       # edit the grep command

When the find command finishes mark all files as in any dired buffer.

Finally, use A (dired-do-search) to search them interactively.

Hope this helps,
--
Robert