Re: HOW TO GIVE A DEFAULT TO A TRULY INTERACTIVE FUNCTION

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: HOW TO GIVE A DEFAULT TO A TRULY INTERACTIVE FUNCTION
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:35:56 GMT

In article <b00bb831.0210170627.2fe31d74@posting.google.com>,
gnuist006 <gnuist006@hotmail.com> wrote:
>If this cannot do this and you were all lying to yourself that
>emacs is customizable, infinitely extensible, then I atleast want
>quick fix for this.

It's extremely customizable, but some customizations are easier than
others.  It's very easy for fuctions to provide hooks for the user to
customize, but the author of the function has to think of it and program
for it.  In some cases you can use "defadvice" to make minor adjustments to
the behavior of a function.  And in the extreme case, when neither solution
is applicable, you can completely replace the function with your own
version.

The only exception is some low-level functions internal to Emacs, which are
written in C.  When these call each other, they don't go through the Lisp
interpreter, so you can't substitute your own versions.  But since Emacs
comes with full source code, you can modify the C function and recompile
Emacs if you really need to customize at this level.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA