Re: can't tag module w/ PCL-CVS in Emacs 21.2

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: can't tag module w/ PCL-CVS in Emacs 21.2
Date: 18 Oct 2002 16:11:49 -0400

> The PCL-CVS documentation suggests that it is a replacement for the VC
> frontend (when using CVS).  This leads me to three questions:

Hmmm... I though I had been very careful to explain that it is a complement
to VC and a replacement only to VC-dired.

> 2. Does it make sense to use the VC front-end instead of PCL-CVS
>    some/most of the time when working with a CVS backend?

I use both all the time.

> 3. Are there any plans to merge the two frontends?

No.  There's a clear understanding that some kind of merging would be
great, but the two codes are very different and work very differently,
so I don't know of any actual plan to merge them.  They interact well
enough for my purposes right now.

> Repository : :server:user@hostname:/no/place/like/home/cvs

What is this :server: access method ?  I know of :ext:, :pserver:,
:fork:, and :gserver: but hadn't heard of that one yet.

> Module     : vendor/app
> Working dir: c:/wrk/app/

> In directory .:
>               Up-To-Date  1.4         a.bat
> .
> .
> .
>               Up-To-Date  1.1.1.2     file.txt

> --------------------- End ---------------------
> -- last cmd: cvs -f tag dumbd4 . --

So it seems everything is perfectly right, you've done the right thing
and Emacs seems to think we got the right result as well.

> ...showing that the cvs command was supposedly sent.
> However, placing cursor on 'file.txt' then pressing '+'
> to view tag tree shows only prior tags done outside Emacs.
> In fact, doing it at a bash prompt thus...

Hmm... That's strange!
Can you shows us the ` *cvs-tmp*' buffer right after the
command terminates (note the leading space in the buffer name) ?

> $ cvs tag dumbcvs1
> ...then viewing the tag tree for file.txt shows that tagging
> via the bash prompt works...

Can you try `cvs -f tag dumbcvs2 .' to make it even more like
what Emacs runs ?
Are you sure bash and Emacs run the same `cvs' executable ?

        Stefan