Re: S-up and emacs -nw?

From: Joe Casadonte
Subject: Re: S-up and emacs -nw?
Date: 20 Oct 2002 12:01:48 -0400

Fredrik,

On 20 Oct 2002, Fredrik Staxeng wrote:

> Then your are halfway there. Now you just need to assign a function
> to f14. Use define-key or global-set-key as appropriate. They
> keys that Emacs does not see at all, or see as another key, need
> to be changed using loadkeys.

I'm almost there.  If:

1) the kernel knows that UP is "<ESC>[A"
2) I teach the kernel (via loadkeys) that Shift-Up is "<ESC>[a"
3) Emacs knows that <up> is bound to `previous-line-nomark' and
   <S-up> is bound to `previous-line-mark'

How do I get Emacs to recognize "<ESC>[a" as <S-up>, so that I don't
have to do some crazy conditional keybindings?  Should I use
`keyboard-translate' for that?  If so, how would I represent "<ESC>[a"
as a character?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte