Re: character encoding

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: character encoding
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:36:24 +0900 (JST)

Hugh wrote:

> Sometimes when I cut and past "it's" from a web page into an emacs
> buffer it transfers as "it?s".  Ditto for other similar events.

Most likely these are "curly" apostrophes that are inserted when people
publish HTML by first writing it in a word processor like Word or Word
Perfect, which use curly apostrophes and quotation marks by default, rather
than standard, straight apostrophes. I suspect that if you copy this text
into any other plain text editor (not only Emacs) the same thing will
happen.

I am working on a couple of different web projects where people submit these
kinds of word processor generated HTML documents, and it is a real pain in
the neck to have to clean them up all the time.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787