Re: S-up and emacs -nw?

From: Fredrik Staxeng
Subject: Re: S-up and emacs -nw?
Date: 22 Oct 2002 09:12:10 +0200

Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

>Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> wrote on 20 Oct 2002 19:10:10 +0200:
>
>> There seems to be a sizeable number of people still running in tty
>> mode. I guess about 1% of those run on actual terminals, the rest are
>> runnning various terminal emulators.
>
>I'm one of these people who use an actual terminal (a Linux tty), and I
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^

I assume you mean that you run on the Linux console. That is not what I
mean with an actual terminal, rather it is an example of a terminal
emulator.

The relevant difference for the topic of this thread is that emulators
can be enhanced to send bucky bits for functions keys. Given that
some people still run in tty mode, perhaps it would be I good idea
to implement this so that it works by default.

I have used actual terminals for several years, and as soon as had the
opportunity I switched to X. That was on a 20MHz 386 with 4MBytes of
memory with an unaccelerated VGA card in 640x480. I am definitely the
wrong person to try to convince about the virtues of text mode.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr