Re: dynamical parts of a docstring

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: dynamical parts of a docstring
Date: 22 Oct 2002 17:22:57 +0200

On 22 Oct 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > Is it possible to add some elisp-code to a docstring which is evaluated at
> > the time the docstring is displayed (e.g. by calling `describe-variable'
> > or `customize-option') so the result of this code is added to the
> > docstring at display-time??
>
>  Right now, no.  Someone requested the same kind of feature a year or two
>  ago, and a few days ago such a feature could have been used in order
>  not to duplicate the documentation of directory-files.
>
>  I think I even coded up a hack that allowed embedded elisp in docstrings
>  that looked like:
>
>          Call a function and return \\\\(fun arg1 arg2).

Sounds good, this would be exactly what I'm looking for!

>  but I think I had some problems because the escape sequence accidentally
>  appeared in a few pre-existing docstrings or somesuch.

Thanks for your prompt answer! OK, there seem to be some backward-compatibility
issues for this feature. Nevertheless: Is there any hope for this feature
(maybe correcting these pre-existing dangerous doc-strings?) in near future?

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl                    mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG                         http://www.sdm.de