Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X

From: Hugo Wolf
Subject: Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:53:19 GMT

In article <mailman.1035334713.26558.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Hugues
Joly wrote:
>     I'd like to know if the mac/README and mac/INSTALL instructions of
> the emacs-21.2.tar.gz archive enables to install a version of emacs that
> is a full blown X11 application on mac OS X?

I haven't tried it that way, but you should be able to use fink to
build an emacs x11 client in darwin/osx.  You can certainly build an
xemacs x11 client this way.  Currently xemacs is a little easier to
build as an x11 client in osx than fsf emacs is.

You might also consider building the carbon version of emacs mentioned
earlier.  This uses the native mac window system.  Earlier
incarnations of this were flakey but if you use the current cvs
sources, the result is quite stable and generally very nice.  I'm
using it compose this article (via slrn, which I installed using
fink).  Since it's carbon, you can presumably also run it in old
macos, though I've never bothered to try.

Of course if you want to run it remotely, the carbon build won't do
you any good.  I currently have three emacs-en on my osx boxes: emacs
21.1.1 as supplied by Apple; xemacs 21.4.9, which I use when I'm
connected remotely and I want a window'd emacs; and a carbon build of
emacs 21.3.50.1, which I use for most editing when I'm at the console.

--
d f-d