Re: insert/overwrite-mode toggle

From: Richard V. Molen
Subject: Re: insert/overwrite-mode toggle
Date: 24 Oct 2002 15:19:19 -0700

"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:

> I am wanting to have my insert key toggle between insert and overwrite. I
> imagine someone out there is already doing this? Thanks.

In Emacs 21.2, C-h k <insert> (<-- the insert key) shows...

<insert> runs the command overwrite-mode
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(overwrite-mode ARG)

Toggle overwrite mode.
With arg, turn overwrite mode on iff arg is positive.
In overwrite mode, printing characters typed in replace existing text
on a one-for-one basis, rather than pushing it to the right.  At the
end of a line, such characters extend the line.  Before a tab,
such characters insert until the tab is filled in.
C-q still inserts characters in overwrite mode; this
is supposed to make it easier to insert characters when necessary.

...If you're using a *nix console or xterm your termcap may not be
identifying the key, but that's beyond my experience -- google search
may help.

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.