Re: Clearing eshell screen

From: Oscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Clearing eshell screen
Date: 25 Oct 2002 01:38:42 +0200

Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com> writes:

> Timur Aydin wrote:
>
> > How can I clear the eshell screen? A real clear though, not something
> > like the unix shells, where typing clear just scrolls the screen
> > upwards (kinda like sweeping the dirt under the carpet).
>

> M-x erase-buffer RET

--- Emacs output

You have invoked the disabled command erase-buffer:
Delete the entire contents of the current buffer.
Any narrowing restriction in effect (see `narrow-to-region') is removed,
so the buffer is truly empty after this.

You can now type
Space to try the command just this once, but leave it disabled,
Y to try it and enable it (no questions if you use it again),
! to try it and enable all commands in this session, or
N to do nothing (command remains disabled).

<SPC pressed>

Text is read-only

<Buffer remains unaffected>

---- End of Emacs output

So far, the only way I know of discarding the eshell buffer contents
is exiting. For me (Emacs 21.1.1 on Win2k and Linux) eshell doesn't
honor the eshell-buffer-maximum-lines variable either, which is
dangerous, as some commands (ex. a gcc bootstrap) outputs tons of
text. Eventually, you end with an eshell buffer using several
megabytes of memory.

--
Oscar