Re: diary in emacs 21.2

From: Martin Fischer
Subject: Re: diary in emacs 21.2
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:30:11 +0200

hi,

"VSM" == Victor S Miller <victorsm@comcast.net> writes:
 VSM> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:30:51 -0400
 VSM> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
 VSM>
 VSM> I've been using the emacs calendar and diary for many years, without
 VSM> much problem.  Recently, the linux systems where I work have been
 VSM> upgraded so that the version of emacs used there is 21.2.  Now,
 VSM> whenever I invoke calendar (I use Fancy diary entries), it craps out
 VSM> after displaying the calendar with a message saying "Calendar buffer
 VSM> is read only".

some questions, which could help you to help yourself:

  do you start your emacs-21 session with the old emacs-20 init file ?

  what do your (old ?) init file or (new !) site-lisp directories
  contain, which could be relevant to diary and calendar ?

  did you try to start your emacs-21 session with the options
  --no-init-file --no-site-file and then set up  your calendar/diary
  step by step from scratch ?

have a look at a file named NEWS (in the etc directory of the emacs-21
tree ?) for 20->21 changes of diary and calendar.

martin