Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X

From: Hugo Wolf
Subject: Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:07:18 GMT

In article <mailman.1035672257.29530.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Eli
Zaretskii wrote:
> window-system ... is deprecated

Thank you. Finally a _sensible_ reason to avoid using this variable.
Not because it's semantically or morally wrong, as has been claimed so
far -- in fact, it's exactly right -- but because it's deprecated.  I
probably shouldn't ask why this little issue wasn't mentioned earlier
in the discussion...

>      (and (eq system-type 'macos) (display-graphic-p))

There's no logical difference I can see between this and (eq
window-system 'mac) -- i.e., no circumstance I can imagine in which
one would be true and the other false.  Can you think of one?  But if
the emacs developer community is getting away from the use of
window-system, that's reason enough to switch.

The only problem with this is that I can't use it in xemacs, which
doesn't have display-graphic-p. Since almost all of my init code is
shared between xemacs and gnuemacs, I'll need an additional test now,
and I'll also need to find out what the xemacs equivalent of
display-graphic-p is.  The window-system test works in both variants.

> (I assume that system-type's value is `macos' on Aqua, but I cannot
> verify if that's indeed so.)

In osx it's actually 'darwin.  Darwin is the bsd core that underlies
osx.  I don't know what it is in old, pre-unix MacOS.

Thanks again for a real answer.  This is much more useful than all the
earlier posturing.