Annoying scrolling in Emacs 21.2.1

From: Da Witch
Subject: Annoying scrolling in Emacs 21.2.1
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:19:52 +0000 (UTC)

I just switched from v20.7.2 to v21.2.1.  Before I had the variable
scroll-step set to 1.  Now I set the variable scroll-conservatively to
1.  Still I don't get the desired behavior when I hold C-n and the
point gets to the bottom of the window.  Now, when this happens, the
visible buffer alternates between jumping to a new location and
rapidly scrolling the *top fifth* (or so) of the buffer.  It is
annoying beyond words.  How can I recover the old "scroll-step 1"
behavior?

Thanks!

hk