Re: PSGML: validate uses SGML declaration for XML

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: Re: PSGML: validate uses SGML declaration for XML
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:48:16 +0000

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:22:50 +0000, Jhair Tocancipa Triana wrote:

>      > When I try and validate an XML document in PSGML mode with onsgmls
>      > sgml-declaration is used as the first argument instead of
>      > sgm-xml-declaration.  I'm using Emacs 21.1.1 on Linux (Mandrake 8.2)
>      > and psgml 1.2.4.
>
>      > Note that it correctly picks up the -wxml option but seem to use
>      > sgml-declaration instead of sgml-xml-declaration for the first
>      > argument.
>
> According to the documentation this is what is expected.

Hmmm - then what is the purpose of the variable sgml-xml-declaration? or
example, the sgml-validate-command is sensitive to whether the buffer is in
xml-mode or sgml-mode; in the former it is

onsgml -wxml -s %s %s

whereas in the latter it is

onsgml -s %s %s

I had understood that the whole point of having separate sgml-declaration and
sgml-xml-declaration was that the former would be substituted for the first
%s in sgml-validate-command when in sgml-mode, and that the latter would be
when in xml-mode. Am I misunderstanding that?

> ,----[ C-h v sgml-validate-command ]
> | sgml-validate-command's value is "onsgmls -s %s %s"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *The shell command to validate an SGML document.
> |
> | This is a `format' control string that by default should contain two `%s'
> | conversion specifications: the first will be replaced by the value of
> | `sgml-declaration' (or the empty string, if nil); the second will be
> | replaced by the current buffer's file name (or the empty string, if nil).
> `----
>
> Defining the sgml-validate-command as a list and not a string is maybe what
> you need.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you elaborate? I'm pretty clueless
when it comes to list ...

> Please, read  the complete C-h v sgml-validate-command for
> details.

I have.

Thanks for your help.

Best, Darren