Hacking cperl-mode

From: Da Witch
Subject: Hacking cperl-mode
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:10:19 +0000 (UTC)

Rummaging through Google groups, I came across this post:

>"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@nortelnetworks.com> writes:

>>     One of the major things that I have to do with an editor is hack perl
>> code. Perl-mode's syntax shading seems horrible, so I'm trying cperl-mode.
>> It's better, but it still has problems with inline POD documentation, and it
>> shades some things in comments even though it should be commented-out.

>Hm.  Does it help to switch to a more recent CPerl?

>Ah, but it happens in the version I have, too.  There's this entry in
>font-lock-keywords:

> ("\\(\\([@%]\\|$#\\)[a-zA-Z_:][a-zA-Z0-9_:]*\\)"
>  (1
>   (if
>       (eq
>        (char-after
>         (match-beginning 2))
>        37)
>       cperl-hash-face cperl-array-face)
>   t))

>The final `t' means to even do it in comments -- maybe that's not
>such a good idea.

>kai

I have two questions.  1. Is it possible to add something to my .emacs
file that would in effect override cperl-mode to change that final `t'
to `nil'?  (I suppose I could just hack a copy cperl-mode.el, and
rename it something like myperl-mode.el, but this is a problematic
solution) 2. What does the '$' mean in the regexp above?  The only
meaning I know for '$' in a regexp is as the end-of-line anchor, but
this interpretation doesn't make sense for this regexp.

Thanks in advance,

hk