Re: Is there an after-move-functions hook?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Is there an after-move-functions hook?
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:36:10 +0000

John Paul Wallington <jpw@shootybangbang.com> wrote on Tue, 29 Oct 2002
10:40:24 +0000:
> Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> wrote:

>> i.e., something like after-changed-functions, but called each time point
>> is move?

> Have you considered the `point-entered' and `point-left' special text
> properties?

I did, and rejected them.  After all, point might be getting moved from
one open string (hey, how about that for terminology? :-) and another,
the properties would be the same, so nothing would get called.  Ha!

I've just had another look at the info page.  It was too subtle for me at
first reading.  It looks like _exactly_ what I need.  On each open string
I make point-entered 'restore-this-string-to-polite-fontification and
point-left 'put-horrible-garish-warning-font-on-this-string.

Now I'll just have a quick check that the other Emacs supports this too,
and it's as good as implemented.

Many thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)