Re: dabbrev not to create a new window

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: dabbrev not to create a new window
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:00:49 -0500

Peter Milliken <peterm@resmed.com.au> wrote:

>    I wrote a small routine that provides word completion at point (as does
> dabbrev).
[cut]

> Other people have found it useful, you might also. It can be found on the
> Emacs Wiki site at http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/expand-a-word.el.

Sounds like a good tool!

Dan, it sounds like framepop.el will also do what you want.
It's description follows:

  Defines temp-buffer-show-function to display buffers in a dedicated
  temporary frame (and so requires a display which can accomodate
  separate frames). The frame is automatically shrink-wrapped to just
  contain the buffer (restricted to a maximum and minimum
  size). Buffers thus affected include *Help*, completion buffers and
  buffer listings.

  Commands are provided for manipulating the FramePop frame:
  scrolling, resizing, window manager functions, and also a facility
  for copying the displayed buffer. You need never lose that handy
  *Help* buffer again!

You'll find it with google search (or email me and I'll send a copy
along with the setup I use).

Peter