Re: (Slightly Off-Topic) Emacs-like Office App

From: bobstopper
Subject: Re: (Slightly Off-Topic) Emacs-like Office App
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:59:30 +0800

> I think your idea is very good!!, I support it.
>

>  Tell me what's not accomplished in emacs, which is in MS office currently.
>  May be many.
>  We need more GUI style of things and enhanced modes.
>
> Artist

I'm thinking that the idea that Emacs is predominantly text-based system
(with an optional gui front-end) prevents it from being a viable option
for appealing to the common user. It also makes it harder to support
word processor-y type things like fonts, graphics etc. What I'm thinking
is something like Emacs only providing the functionality and a similar
GUI type interface to apps like gnumeric, evolution, gimp, galeon etc
etc all within the one app (with the appropriate mode loaded).