enhanced diary mode?

From: Adam P.
Subject: enhanced diary mode?
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 11:04:39 +0100

I'm missing various features in the calendar / diary mode and I've
been wondering if there exists an enhanced diary mode that implements
those, or whether anybody implemented any of those stand-alone.  The
ones that I'd find particulalry useful are:

- sending reminders via email rather than displaying them in the mode
  line;
- marking diary entries in various ways depending on the type of the
  entry (e.g.: anniversaries in red and appointment via underlining);
- something like RefTeX's follow mode: moving cursor from one date to
  another would automatically result in displaying diary entries for
  the new date, without the need to press 'd' each time.

<NTG>
Failing that, could anybody recommend any linux diary / appointment
management program that's not too heavy (evolution is heavy) and which
has such features?
</NTG>

Many thanks.

     Adam