Re: enhanced diary mode?

From: Adam P.
Subject: Re: enhanced diary mode?
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 13:31:51 +0100

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> writes:

> Did you read the section about Calendar/Diary in the Emacs manual?

Yes.  Apparently missed some important bits, though...

> From (emacs)Diary Commands:
>
>    Many users like to receive notice of events in their diary as
> email.  To send such mail to yourself, use the command `M-x
> diary-mail-entries'.  A prefix argument specifies how many days
> (starting with today) to check; otherwise, the variable
> `diary-mail-days' says how many days.

This description wasn't helpful because it suggested that I have to
run M-x diary-mail-entries manually each time I want to remind myself
about diary entries, which missed the point.  But "C-h f
diary-mail-entries" describes a way of automating this task (using
cron).

>    - marking diary entries in various ways depending on the type of the
>      entry (e.g.: anniversaries in red and appointment via underlining);
>
> See (emacs)Special Diary Entries:
>
>    Each of the standard sexp diary entries takes an optional parameter
> specifying the name of a face or a single-character string to use when
> marking the entry in the calendar.

A! This is useful -- thanks.  More useful would be defining just a few
entry types, with a face for each type, and without the need to
manually assign face to each entry, but I suppose this can be done
with some elisp tweaking.

>    - something like RefTeX's follow mode: moving cursor from one date to
>      another would automatically result in displaying diary entries for
>      the new date, without the need to press 'd' each time.
>
> See calendar-move-hook:
>
> *List of functions called whenever the cursor moves in the calendar.
>
> For example,
>
>   (add-hook 'calendar-move-hook (lambda () (view-diary-entries 1)))
>
> redisplays the diary for whatever date the cursor is moved to.

Many thanks -- that's been very helpful.

Best,

        Adam
--
Name and address in X-Real...