Re: Diary Usage Poll

From: ken
Subject: Re: Diary Usage Poll
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:11:17 -0500 (EST)

Spake Alan Shutko at 21:22 (UTC-0000) on Wed, 6 Nov 2002:

= ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> writes:
=
= > I switched because I believe gnomecal will be the dominant
= > calendaring app in Linux, and especially as Linux becomes more
= > popular on the desktop.
=
= Gnomecal was already orphaned once, and may be again in the future.
= Last I fiddled in the code, it was pretty buggy in a number of
= areas.  Why do you think that it (and not Evolution, or the KDE
= calendar, or plan, or remind, or something else) will be the dominant
= calendaring app in Linux?  And why does it matter?

Seems I touched a nerve.

I haven't had problems with it and can't say why you did.  I was just
responding to a question about emacs diary, hoping to get the point
across that another gnu app has a lot of nice features and is simple to
use, a consideration for people who want to do calendaring without
having to learn to program in elisp, also a consideration for those of
us interested in broadening the use of open source software.  That's why
it matters.

It would be a little OT and inconsiderate to the list to provide you a
review of the apps you requested... or to take up what seems to me to be
an invitation to a pointless dispute.  You disagree with me.  This is
duly noted.  Let's leave it there.

=
= > This gnomecal also easily handles repeating events, events which
= > repeat only a finite number of times, exceptions to either of these
= > kinds of repeating events, and a variety of others, all by pointing
= > and clicking...
=
= What it doesn't handle are floating holidays or things like the DST
= switch.  That's one reason I don't use it anymore.

Rereading my original post, you'll note that I said that gnomecal "needs
more development".  This is one notable area where it is needed.  And
there are others.

Further discussion may be pursued off the list.

Regards,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.