Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:35:48 +0000

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:14:10 +0000, Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> wrote:

> You can try out Emacs' built-in sgml-mode which is much less featureful than
> PSGML but doesn't require anything like a DTD. The version that comes with
> Emacs-21.2 is severely under-featured in many respects, but the version in
> the development code
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD
> supposedly works with Emacs-21.2 and provides XML support and indentation.
>
> I'd be interested to hear any comment about it,

I'll download it and give it a try (I'm still using 21.1 - hopefully it will
work with that too). I assume that just commenting out the stuff referring to
PSGML in my .emacs will be sufficient to enable sgml-mode's XML mode).

But what I am really after is the features of PSGML but more XML rather than
SGML centric. The fact that PSGML parses the DTD and then provides
context-sensitive menus for inserting elements and attributes is what makes it
so useful for me. What I'd like in a dream-case scenario is for it to parse
schemas instead of DTDs and work with hybrid documents containing markup from
different namespaces (and in particular make it easy to insert the proper
namespaces - I always have to look them up and type them in by hand). That
would be much handier than being able to work with DTD-less generic XML, or
relying solely on external tools for all validating. Pretty soon Mozilla will
have native support for XHTML+MathML+SVG, and I'd like to have a nice
environment for writing documents of that type, and include metadata in RDF.

I'll get back to you re the new SGML mode ...

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com