Non-startup auto-reminder from calendar?

From: Christopher Balz
Subject: Non-startup auto-reminder from calendar?
Date: 8 Nov 2002 10:31:25 -0800

When Emacs is started up, it of course displays any calendar (.diary)
entries.

Since I usually just hibernate my machine (thank goodness I don't
start up a lot since I use iswitch and eieio with a large desktop of
buffers), the above feature isn't of much use to me.  What is needed,
I'm sure by more people than just myself, is an Emacs calendar feature
that will display the day's goings-on say at 9:00 a.m. daily.

I'd be very surprised if this feature did not yet exist.  But if this
feature in fact does not exist, I would be interested in working on
it, if I could be pointed at the right Lisp functions.

Thank you in advance!