Re: News Reading

From: Christopher
Subject: Re: News Reading
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 00:19:04 -0500

Christopher wrote:

> When ever I use gnus, I am prompted with this question:
>
> "Gnus auto-save file exists. Do you want to read it?"
>
> Whether I say yes or no, emacs does the same thing. It says "nntp read:"
> followed by a certain number of kilobytes. I have to wait until this
> process is complete before I can do anything. I think it is actually
> fetching a list of newsgroups which it has already fetched several times.
>
> Also, emacs forgets the newsgroups to which I have subscribed after I
> close out of it.
>
> Is there a way to bypass this and simply go to a list of groups to which I
> have subscribed?

OK. Let me modify this slightly.

If I respond to "Gnus auto-save file exists. Do you want to read it?" with
"yes", then Gnus reads a file which tells it which newsgroups I am
subscribed to. However, I still have to wait for the "nntp read:" download,
which takes several minutes. Is there anyway to bypass "nntp read."? Also,
can I configure emacs so that it automatically reads the start-up file with
my newsgroup subcriptions?