Re: enhanced diary mode?

From: Janusz S. Bień
Subject: Re: enhanced diary mode?
Date: 09 Nov 2002 20:51:18 +0100

Thanks to Alan and Edward for answers.

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002  Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> wrote:

> jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) writes:
>
> > What I am missing most is the possibility to have several diary files:
> > one with professional appointment used at home and at work, one for
> > private purposes kept only at home. Of course, the files should be
> > merged before displaying.
>
> You should take a look in the elisp manual at the diary customization
> sections.  Much of the more-advanced diary tools are described
> there.

Placing all this crucial information about diary capabilities in Emacs
Lisp Reference Manual qualifies in my opinion to be reported as a
documentation bug. Here is how the manual proper refers to the section
in question:

           The command `M-x diary' displays the diary entries for the
        current date, independently of the calendar display, and
        optionally for the next few days as well; the variable
        `number-of-diary-entries' specifies how many days to include.
        *Note Customizing the Calendar and Diary: (elisp)Calendar.

Nobody can guess that this is a link to the description of advanced
diary tools!

> Specifically, under Fancy Diary Display it mentions the
> ability to use #include "filename" to include a diary file.

That is what I have been loooking for.

> If you hit i d in the calendar it'll still go into the main file, but
> you can then move things around to suit.  I have a main diary file,
> one where I move historical stuff, and a third for all the cyclic
> things like anniversaries.

Thanks for the hint.

On 06 Nov 2002  reingold@emr.cs.iit.edu (Edward M. Reingold) wrote:

> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to gnu.emacs.help as well.

>     JS=> What I am missing most is the possibility to have several diary
>     JS=> files: one with professional appointment used at home and at work,
>     JS=> one for private purposes kept only at home. Of course, the files
>     JS=> should be merged before displaying.
>
> Multiple diary files are supported in three ways: the #include mechanism, the
> setting of `diary-file', and the `D' command in the calendar.

I was aware of `diary-file' but considered it too cumbersome for the
purpose, I forgot about `D' but I consider it also too cumbersome.

Regards

Janusz

--
                     ,