Re: Can't Print with Emacs 21.2 on WindowsXP

From: Doug M
Subject: Re: Can't Print with Emacs 21.2 on WindowsXP
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:23:36 -0500

Thanks for the suggestions.  Very helpful!

Turns out that the Windows XP supported Samsung ML-1430 laser printer does
not work from the DOS command line interface.  I suspect the driver was not
written to support it.  Samsung's unsatifactory reply to my inquery is
below.  I have not yet investigated whether
printfile (http://www.lerup.com/printfile/) will work around this.
------Samsung-Support-Dialog-----------------

This unit cannot print in DOS. This is very simple and straight
forward. When making a major hardware purchase in the furture we advise
varifing what its capibilities are, before making this type of investment.

**********  Don't Remove "[SN********]" from the title  *************
  When you inquire about our answer...
  With the Serial Number, we could identify your message.

[ You Wrote ]
Dear Samsung Representative,

Thanks for your reply.  However, I cannot just buy
another printer.  I spent $200 on the ML-1340 and
can't take it back since it has been too long.  I
would like to have known it handles Windows and Linux
but not handle DOS!  The DOS is emulated on Windows XP
and who would have thought a printer would only print
in Windows XP without using the DOS command line?

Why does the ML-1340 not print from DOS of Windows XP?
 Is it just a lack of driver function?  Other reason?

I will consider posting my dissatisfaction on usenet
and the web if Samsung does not convince me the
technology barrier is more substantial than writing a
DOS driver for the ML-1430.

Thanks for your consideration,
--Doug Morris

------Samsung-Support-Dialog-----------------

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> wrote in message

> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Doug M wrote:
>
> > Can't print with emacs on WindowsXP.  Other apps do.
> > Can't find .emacs file, but found .emacs.d directory.  Hmm?
> > Made sure ps-printer-name and printer-name were set to one of "LPT1",
"USB",
> > and "USB001" with the printer connected as indicated.  Did this with M-x
> > set-variable.  Looked with C-h v <var name> and noted descriptions.
Also