Re: Tab questions

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Tab questions
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:43:37 +0100

Todd Wylie <twylie@watson.wustl.edu> writes:

> I have a couple of questions about tab stops.
> 1: Is there a way to load edit-tab-stops from the .emacs file? Or must I M-x
> edit-tab-stops each session?

M-x customize-variable RET tab-stop-list RET

Don't forget to save your changes.

> 2: I'm not too clear on how tabs are working. If I edit-tab-stops from 8
> characters to 5 for the first tab stop and then use C-f it will traverse all
> 5 spaces for the first tab stop -- however, it will jump all 8 spaces at the
> same time at the next (unedited) tab stop. Are edited tab stops akin to
> untabifying tabs (i.e. literal spaces)? I have the O'reilly GNU emacs book
> but his section isn't very helpful... thanks.

There are two completely separate concepts: (1) where does the cursor
go when you hit TAB or M-i, (2) where does Emacs put tab characters
in your buffer.

The variable tab-width controls the latter.

(shameless plug)  You might also try the Emacs keybinding tutorial,
which used to be on my homepage but that is gone now.  Maybe Google
still has a copy.  I hope to reinstate my homepage asap, but I'm
quite busy at the moment...

kai