escape characters in emacs20 shell mode

From: Nimar Arora
Subject: escape characters in emacs20 shell mode
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:21:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm running emacs20 on a Linux (Debian - Woody/stable)
virtual console. When I enter an emacs shell and try
to execute some command - like 'ls' - the output
contains a whole of junk - [[0m etc. These look like
the escape characters which can control the display
attributes on some terminals. I don't understand why
I'm getting these. I don't even have a .emacs file
yet, so I haven't changed the default configuration.

I tried, 'E-x shell-strip-ctrl-m' but to no avail. I
also tried to lookup the info on Emacs shell mode to
see if Debian has created some funky shell mode but
couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Nimar