face at point

From: John Hunter
Subject: face at point
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:13:26 -0600

[ I recently inadvertently posted this to g.e.gnus, but it really
belongs here.  Sorry for the crosspost ]

I don't really understand how to identify what faces are in use in a
given buffer.

I use color-theme (gnome2) which works fine under X but when I am
using font locking in emacs 21 in an xterm, I occasionally run into
problems.

Case in point: In gnus article mode, the face of quoted messages (the
cited text from previous posts that the article is following-up to) is
dark blue and hard to read against my black background xterm.

I would like to know which face I need to set so that the color is
more to my liking.  I tried apropos to see if there was a
gnus-article-cited-face or something like that, but didn't find it.
What would be really helpful, is if I could execute some function and
see what variable (symbol?) controlled the face at point.  Then I
could apply a mode-hook to set that face to my heart's desires.

Ie, how do I find out what face is responsible for a given segment of
text in a given mode?

John Hunter

Oort Gnus v0.05
GNU Emacs 21.2.1