Re: yank-and-indent

From: Arnaldo Mandel
Subject: Re: yank-and-indent
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:43:57 -0200

Michael Slass wrote (on Nov 20, 2002):
 > "Timur Aydin" <asdfweasdf@diowekfsdf.dersdre> writes:
 >
 > >Hi,
 > >
 > >In programming, very often a number of lines are killed, yanked to another
 > >location and are reindented according to the new location. Currently, the
 > >following sequence has to be done manually:
 > >
 > >1) Mark the lines to be killed
 > >2) Kill the lines
 > >3) Yank into new location
 > >4) Mark the same lines again.
 > >5) Hit C-M-\ to indent the lines according to new location.
 > >
 > >I would like to reduce the procedure to:
 > >
 > >1) Mark the lines to be killed
 > >2) Kill the lines
 > >3) Hit ???? to yank and indent the lines.
 > >
 > >Any wisdom on how this can be accomplished? I am a beginner in lisp, so
 > >hopefully there is a way that doesn't require writing a lisp function...
 > >
 > >--
 > >Timur
 > >

 > Try this:
 >
 > (defun yank-and-indent ()
 >   "Yank and indent yanked material according to mode."

To me this seems excessive: one more function and one more binding to
remember.

What Timur should realize is that step (4) is superfluous - the yanked
lines form the region immediately after yanking.  So, ???? is simply

C-y M-C-\

am

--
Arnaldo Mandel
Departamento de Ciência da Computação - Computer Science Department