Re: Have an idea for a Mono/.NET Emacs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Have an idea for a Mono/.NET Emacs
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:51:02 +0100

"Adam Haupt" <amh@mwr.is> writes:

> It would be great IMHO to be able to write .emacs in Python, Perl,
> C, or C++, as well as create extensions in those languages.

I kind of doubt this.  Lisp is such a small language (at least the
version that's included in Emacs is) that it's a breeze to learn.
Then the problem with writing extensions comes from learning all
those library functions that Emacs has.

The overhead of also learning Lisp when you want to extend Emacs is
just too small to justify such a great effort on the part of the
Emacs developers.

That said, there are Perlmacs and Pymacs, I think.  And Richard wants
Emacs to use Guile as the extension language, and Guile supports
writing your programs in a variety of syntaxes.

kai