Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:06:00 +0100

ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> writes:

> ... and that, according to Heidegger, "every metaphysical thought is
> ontological or it is nothing at all."<fn>(Holzwege, p. 206)</fn>

That's a good approach to the problem.  But with LaTeX, it's even
easier.  You write this;

    and that, according to Heidegger, ``every metaphysical though is
    ontological or it is nothing at all.''\footnote{Holzwege, p.\ 206}

And then LaTeX will create a footnote for you and number it and all
that stuff.  Note that, for completeness, I've also included the
strange backslash after the `p.' which tells LaTeX that this dot is
not a sentence-end period.  There are a couple of commands like this
that you need to learn, but there is a 20 page document that explains
about these things and you can read that in half an hour or so.

As another example, you write

    \section{Introduction}
    \label{sec:intro}

    ...some text...

And then elsewhere you can refer to this section, like so:

    As we already mentioned in section \ref{sec:intro}, ...

You can see that LaTeX does those things which you wanted to write
Lisp for.  So why bother writing Lisp!

kai